Name:
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

IS PSYCHOLOGY OF THE DEVIL?

"Now while he [Jesus] was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many people saw the miraculous signs he was doing and believed in his name. But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all men. He did not need man's testimony about man, for he knew what was in a man"
(John 2:23-25).

One concerned "Daily Encounter" reader writes, "Would you please remove me from your email list. I find that you have too much psychology mixed with truth and I don't have the time to sort out which ones are really worth reading, as some are and some are not."

Some years ago a man held some of my writings in his hand as he demanded that my board reproach me. "This literature has psychology in it and psychology is of the devil," he charged rather aggressively.

Hmm . interesting observations . especially as I don't believe it is possible to have a healthy theology without a healthy psychology. Theology is the understanding of God and our relationship to him. Psychology is the understanding of man--especially his mind, emotions and relationships. Thus, Jesus was not only the Master Theologian par excellence but he was also the Master Psychologist par excellence, for he not only knew and understood God as no other, but he always understood man as no other. And he always knew what was in man and understood us as no other because he created our mind (our psychology), soul and heart as well as our body and spirit.

One major problem when we fail to have a well-balanced understanding of people (poor psychology), we tend to misapply theology to the detriment of those we are seeking to help.

Note also that the fruits of the Spirit are as much psycho- logical or emotional as they are spiritual. For example, love, joy and peace are all emotions. Furthermore, if my love is repressed (a psychological problem), how can the love of God flow through me? It can't! This is why I say it isn't possible to have a healthy spiritual life apart from a healthy psychological or emotional life. Both are inseparably intertwined. Perhaps, just perhaps, this is what the Scripture is implying when it asks who can divide between soul and spirit?

Sure . there is some very bad psychology and there is also some very bad theology. Basically, apart from misinfor- mation, many people who don't like true psychology are afraid of facing their own psychology. It is so much easier to say psychology is a lie or is of the devil than to face the truth about myself; that is, to face my personal flaws, unresolved character issues, broken parts and my sins-- blatant or otherwise.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to discern all truth. Whether it is in psychology, theology or in any other area that affects my life and relationships. And give me the courage to face myself psychologically as well as spiritually, and thereby be able to bring all my broken parts to you for your healing. Help me to also see my strengths so I can dedicate these areas to you for your use and blessing. Gratefully, in Jesus' name. Amen."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home